If you use the library’s public computers you do! Beginning August 1st, all computer users must present a library card when signing up to use a public access computer. The Public Computer and Internet Access Policy was approved by the Orland Library Commission on May 8th, 2012. You can read the policy here:
Orland Free Library Public Computer & Internet Access Policy
The Orland Free Library offers public access to the Internet to enhance the library collection by providing another resource for research and reference. Computer users must have a valid, unblocked library card on file. Children under the age of 18 must have a library card and Internet Access Policy signed by a parent or legal guardian on file. The child’s library account will indicate her/his right of access to the Internet and s(he) will then be allowed to use an available Internet computer following the guidelines set forth in this Internet Policy. As with other library materials, restriction of a child’s access to the Internet is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian.
The library does not monitor or control the content of the material accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its contents. Not all information found on the Internet is accurate, complete, up-to-date, legal or philosophically acceptable to all individuals. The Library assumes no responsibility and shall have no liability for any direct, indirect or consequential damages arising from the use of information found on the Internet, or any communication sent through the Library’s Internet terminals. The Library does not monitor an individual’s use of the Internet.
- Internet services may be used only for legal purposes. Any use of the Internet that violates Federal, California or local laws is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, such activities that include the graphic display of obscenity, child pornography, or other materials deemed harmful to minors and unauthorized copying or downloading of copyright-protected material.
- The changing of computer settings, saving files on the hard drive, and loading of user’s own software and downloading of software is also prohibited.
- Internet access will be available on a first come, first served basis.
- Each user is permitted a thirty minute time slot. Computers are shut down five minutes prior to library closing.
- Due to space limitations there is a limit of one person per computer. Permission for more than one person per computer and additional access time may be granted by library staff.
- There is a 10-cent charge for each page printed. Users may not bring their own paper as the printing cost is being charged to defray other expenses related to providing the use of the printer.
Any active or repeated attempts to violate these guidelines may result in the loss of Internet privileges.
Posted by Jody